Friday, July 11, 2014

Things I Don't Think I Can Do

Last night I was browsing what was on TV and stumbled upon the 2013 Ironman Championship in Hawaii. I'm one of those people who love to watch the Boston and New York marathons so now you know why I kept it on this channel.

They shared stories about the athletes so it wasn't just watching them swim/bike/run. Hines Ward and Gordon Ramsey were competing in it. A dad who lost his daughter in Sandy Hook was competing. A 78 year old woman broke the record again for the oldest woman to finish (BTW in 2009 a biker cut her off and she crashed breaking her collarbone. She finished the bike ride and the marathon with 8 minutes to spare, WITH A BROKEN COLLARBONE AND AT 77 YEARS OLD!!!) 

Over 2,000 athletes with stories for why they were taking on this arduous challenge. I wish I could read them all.

I sat there watching and just kept wondering how the heck they do it and how I couldn't. Why? Because it sounds hard. What a legitimate reason right? It got me thinking that there are things we "think" we can't do and 9 times out of 10, that's not true. The only road block is ourself.

So here's a list of things I don't "think" I can do but hope to one day prove myself wrong:

+ Run a marathon in under 4 hours. 9 minute mile pace for 26.2 miles…I haven't even been able to do that in a half marathon yet.

+ Complete a triathlon. 1.5K swim, 25 mile bike run and 6.2 mile run. I get tired just thinking about doing those 3 activities back to back.

+ Go skydiving. It sounds exhilarating to fly through the air and then have a safe landing but I'm pretty sure I would pee myself when I made that jump out of the plane.

+ Become Fluent In a New Language. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and one semester of German during college…best things I remember is "no tengo pantalones" and "auf wiedersehen". 

+ Snowboard. When I was about 13, I tried it out with my ex step-sister. On the trail level above the bunny trail. It took me 2 hours to get down the mountain because I couldn't figure out how to do the back and forth and went down like this. Quads were sore for days...
Source
Hopefully one day I'll get to blog about doing each of these things!

11 comments:

  1. Isn't Kona the most inspiring thing ever? I watch it every time it's on. It pumps me up like nothing else!
    A lot of things on your list would be on mine as well, but as someone who has completed triathlons I can tell you that should not be on it!!! It's actually not as tiring as you might think. Especially in the shorter ones there's so much to think about and do (as opposed to running races where all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other), the adrenaline rush is enough to get me through it! It's just like running, you can't do it all at once but it gets easier with practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list!! Snow sports are so hard for me-- I blame it on a lack of exposure to both the weather and the sports!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a very good snowboarder. i have tried and have never been able to figure it out enough to actually enjoy it.. but I am an excellent sledder!

    I am with ya on the plane jumping thing. no way in heck ever ever ever.

    miss ya, friend! let's set a real date this week and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO impressed with the crazy people who complete Ironmans and Half Ironmans. It really is astonishing! I did a shorter triathlon a few years ago and it was so. much. harder. than the half marathons I'd done in the past!!! You know, eventually while running, you get into a groove and most of the race is autopilot...not so much during a tri! (even still, I don't regret doing it... you should think about one!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, I know I could do a tri. It's just that logistically, it would be difficult because I don't have access to an ocean or anything, and I would have to learn to bike race. I don't WANT to do one at this point, but I'm sure I could. As for skydiving, you could definitely do it. It's fun! You're strapped to someone else, so you don't really even have to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you've got yourself a bucket list :) I love when I stumble on something like Kona. Especially Kona! It's so inspiring to watch, and I really love hearing all of the back stories. The elites are amazing, but my absolute favorite are the "age groupers." The ones who don't do triathlon as a job, but are out there competing at the highest level. The why behind it all always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're right! I loved hearing all of their stories too. It's so cool how they're all different but great!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! I don't think I could do any of those things either (except maybe become fluent in another language). But YOU! I'm certain you can. I look forward to reading the blogs as you check them off!!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Amy!! :) Hopefully it'll be within the next couple of years!

      Delete
  8. I totally believe you could do all of these things! Triathlons seem right up your alley, too. My dad did an Ironman competition in Arizona quite awhile ago and it seemed insane, probably because it IS! It takes so much dedication, training, and time, but you could do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and your oh so inspiring blog posts lately ma'am... You CAN do anything you set your mind too. Make the trip to Cincy when you want to go skydiving... It's AMAZING, Becky! You'd love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I really enjoy reading your comments and will try to always respond via email!